The Most Rev. Dr. Jackson Nasoore Ole Sapit hails from Narok County and is married to Mama Esther Sapit. He was baptized in 1977. He attended his primary and secondary School in Narok County. In 1985, he was confirmed and served as an evangelist and community worker in his home county.
He joined the Berea Theological College, Nakuru in 1989 to pursue a diploma in Theology. In 1991 he was ordained as Deacon in 1991 and priested in 1992. He worked as Vicar at the ACK Belgut Parish in the Diocese of Nakuru from 1992 to 1994. In 1994, he joined the St. Paul’s University for a degree in Divinity. He also got a Certificate of Research/Consultancy from Daystar University in 1999.
From 1997 to 2002, he worked as the Vicar and project manager at the Trans Mara Rural Development Program in Kilgoris Parish, in the Diocese of Kericho. He went to the University of Reading, England and pursued a Master’s Degree in Social Development and Sustainable Livelihoods in 2003. He was also awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the Global University for lifelong Learning in California.
He served as the Diocesan Mission and Development Coordinator at the ACK Diocese of Nakuru before being consecrated as suffragan Bishop of the Diocese of Kericho. He was later on consecrated as the Diocesan Bishop of The Diocese in 2008. He was elected as the Archbishop on the 20th of May 2016 and thereafter consecrated on the 3rd of July 2016. The Most Rev. Dr. Jackson Ole Sapit is committed to building the church and ensuring holistic growth among around the growth. He launched his strategic Plan 2018-2027 that he intends to use to drive the Church’s agenda is social transformation in the country.
The Rt. Rev. Eliud Wabukala was born on the 26th of June 1951 in Namwesi Village, Bungoma County. He went to Butonge Primary School and Kolanya High School, where he completed his studies in 1969. He worked as an untrained teacher at Butonge Secondary School so that he could raise money to support his siblings.
He joined began for the Provincial Administration in Nakuru by working as a Clerical officer then rose to a District Officer 2 in Narok County. He, in 1972, however went back to his teaching career though as an untrained Teacher in Kitale. He later joined Kaimosi Teachers where he trained as a teacher. He went to teach Naifarm Primary School, in Kitale before he went to Bungoma Afterwards where he was promoted to be an Inspector of Schools in charge of the Butonge Zone in Sirisia Division, Bungoma County.
In 1985, he joined the St. Paul’s Theological College, in Limuru for a Degree course in Divinity after taking a break from his career. He joined full time ministry as the Principal of St. Philip’s Theological College in Maseno, Vihiga County. In 1988, he became the Deacon of ACK St. Andrews Butonge and priested in 1989at St. Thomas Pro-Cathedral.
He received a Scholarship from the Anglican Church of Canada 1990 to study at the Wycliffe College at Toronto School of Theology, of the University of Toronto, in Canada. Here he got his PhD in 1994. He came back and became a lecturer of Old Testament and Ecumenism at the St. Paul’s Theological College eventually becoming the First African Academic Dean at the College.
He was elected as the 1st Bishop of the ACK Diocese of on the 13th of October 1996. 12 years later, he succeeded the Most. Rev Benjamin Nzimbi as the ACK on the 5th of July 2009. He was also enthroned as the Bishop of All. Saints Cathedral Diocese on the 5th of July 2009 upon its formation.
He retired in June 2016 after which he was appointed as the Chairperson of the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) by President Kenyatta.
The Most Rev. Benjamin Paul Mwanzia Nzimbi was born in 1945 in Kitui County in a family of 8 children. He attended Ithookwe Primary, Mulutu Intermediary and Kitui School. He joined Kenyatta University for a Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Majoring in Religion. He went on to lecture at the Machakos Training College where he also served as the Dean of Students and Head of Social Studies. While at the College, he was trained and ordained as the chaplain. He is married to Alice Kavula and the couple has five children.
He left his career in teaching for full time ministry. He enrolled at the Trinity and St. Francis College in Karen, Nairobi where he studied Priesthood. In 1985 he was elected as the Bishop of the newly formed ACK Diocese of Machakos where he served for the next 10 years before being elected again to lead the newly created ACK Diocese of Kitui.
On the 16th of August 2002, he was elected and consecrated as the 4th Archbishop of the Anglican Church of Kenya and Bishop of All Saints Cathedral Diocese. He served up to 2009 when he retired.
The Most Rev. David Gitari was born on the 16th 1937 David Mukuba Gitari was made Deacon at All Saints Cathedral, Nairobi in November 1971 after successfully completing a Bachelor of Divinity in Degree at the University of London where he studied for 3 years. He was ordained Priest by the late Bishop Obadiah Kariuki in December 1972 at St James and All Martyrs Cathedral in Murang’a.
On 20th July 1975, David then 37, was consecrated and enthroned the first Bishop of the then Diocese of Mt Kenya East. He served the Diocese until 1990 when it was split into two Dioceses, which are Kirinyaga and Embu, with David subsequently becoming the first Bishop of Kirinyaga.
As a young person David Gitari had a good reputation for his keen interest in Matters of God. He started teaching Sunday school in his home village of Ngiriambu at the age of 12. At the age of 15, he preached his first sermon to his home congregation at the request and encouragement of his father, Samuel Mukuba, the founder of Ngiriambu Church and the first Missionary to Ngiriambu area.
Born on September 16th 1937, David attended local schools and later joined Kangaru School, Embu, from 1955 -1958. During his school days he organized fellow Christian Students to teach Sunday school at Kangaru and Gatunduri villages and Embu Town. He also founded Kangaru School Christian Union. In 1959, he taught at Kiburu intermediate School and organized the first Sunday and Youth Rally at Karimaini, and also started a Christian Union in the school.
A founder member at the Kenya Students Christian Fellowship (KSCF), founded in 1959, David toured several schools encouraging the formation of Christian Unions and reviving the weak ones. Later that year, he joined the Nairobi University (Formerly the Royal Technical College) for a Bachelor of Arts degree of the University of London. During his university days, he was the chairman of the University Christian Union. In 1963, he organized the first Mission to the University of Nairobi, conducted by the Rev. John R W Stott.
David had nearly given up his studies at Nairobi in 1959 in favour of going to St Paul’s United Theological College, Limuru to prepare for the Ministry. Bishop Beecher strongly advised him against the move, arguing that studies at Nairobi would be a great asset for his (David’s) future ministry in the Church.
In 1964 1965, he taught at Thika High School but spent nearly all weekends preaching in Secondary Schools in various parts of Kenya. In August 1965, David took a six weeks students leadership course at Dasa Moscia in Switzerland and in October that year, he joined Tyndale Hall, Bristol for a one-year theological course. He returned to Kenya in July 1966 and worked as the General Secretary of the Pan African Fellowship of Evangelical Students (PAFES) and as a Lay Chaplain to the University of Nairobi. He was responsible for co-ordination of the work of Christian Unions in the Universities of Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi and Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe).
0n 31″t December 1966, he married Grace Wanjiru Gatembo at St James and All Martyrs Cathedral Church, Murang’a. They were blessed with three Children. In August 1968, he moved to England with his family, where for three years, he studied for a degree in theology at the University of London. During his time in England, he preached in a number of British Universities and also attended student conferences as a speaker in Finland and West Germany.
Upon his return home, he took up the position of the General Secretary of the Bible Society of Kenya in 1972. This job gave him the opportunity of serving all the Churches in Kenya for four years. During this time, he was also the Chairperson of the Kenya Students Christian Fellowship, a post he relinquished following his election as bishop.
At the time he was appointed Dean of the Province in September 1994, he had been the longest serving ACK Bishop having served in that capacity for 19 years. By virtue of this, he automatically became the rightful successor of Bishop Henry Okullu as Dean, and subsequently took over (later that year) the church leadership after the retirement at Manasses Kuria.
He was elected the 3rd Archbishop ACK on the 20th of November 1996. On 12th January 1997 he was enthroned as the 3rd Archbishop of the ACK and Bishop of Nairobi.
The Most Rev Manasses Kuria was born in Kabuku, Limuru, and Kiambu County in July 1929 to a devoted Christian Family. He was baptized at the Kabete Anglican Church He attended studies at St. Paul’s School, Ngecha School and finally Kabete Mission School where he did the Kenya African Preliminary Examination in 1940.
He began his teaching career at the age of 16 working at St. Peter’s Wangige School and then moved to Ngecha Junior High School and eventually Rironi Orthodox School. He married Mary Kuria in 1947.
He resigned from teaching to focus on Church work. He enrolled at St. Paul’s United Theological College, Limuru in 1954 for a course in Theology. Due to the Scarcity of Church Priests, he was ordained as a Deacon in 1955 while still a student at St. Paul’s. He was then posted to Weithaga Parish for his internship before being posted to Kahuhia, and subsequently to Mwea rehabilitation camp for being posted to serve as a special chaplain to Mwea rehabilitation camp for detained Mau Mau Freedom Fighters.
He was given a study leave to various Asian countries so as to enable him gain an understanding of collective Christianity as it was being practiced in that part of the world. He got a licentiate in theology from Australia after a 14-month study program. Upon his return he was sent Eldoret as an Archdeacon where he actively served communities through mission.
He was consecrated as an Assistant Bishop of the Diocese of Nakuru, by Archbishop Leonard Beecher on the 25th of April1970. In January 1976, he was enthroned Bishop of the Diocese of Nakuru by Archbishop Festo Olang’. On the 29th of June, 1980, he was consecrated as the 2nd Archbishop of The Anglican Church of Kenya upon the retirement of Archbishop Olang’
The Most Rev. Festo Olang’.
He was born in Ebusakami Esabalu village in the County of Vihiga. He spent most of his Childhood in the rural areas of helping his father take care of his livestock.
He did his entry level Primary Education at Komulo Primary School in Kisumu County in 1927. He was admitted to Maseno School in 1928. While in Secondary School, the Headmaster (Edward Carey Francis) guided him to grow in Christian faith. He taught in Sunday schools and encouraged local community members to take care of the environment by growing trees. He got confirmed into the Anglican Faith while at Maseno School. He later on in 1931 moved to Alliance High School, in Kikuyu, Kiambu County where he finished his secondary Education and did a course in teaching. Upon his completion of College education, he moved back to teach at Maseno School then transferred to the newly established Butere Girls High School in Kakamega County. He married Eseri Twera on the 24th of December 1937 with whom they had 10 Children.
He wanted to become an Anglican Priest and so in 1944 he joined the St. Paul’s Divinity School, in Limuru, Kiambu County for a course in Theology. He was ordained as a deacon in 1945 and posted to serve at the Ramula pastorate, from 1946 to 1947. During this period, he was able to baptize and confirm his own mother.
In 1948, he won a scholarship from the British Council that enabled him to study at Wycliffe Hall, in Oxford, England, from the British Council, for one academic year. He was ordained a priest after his return to Kenya in 1950. He also became the principal of the newly started Maseno Bible School. In 1952 he became the first Kenyan rural dean for Central Nyanza. At the end of 1954, he became vicar of Bunyore.
He, together with Obadiah Kariuki were consecrated the first two African assistant bishops in Kenya by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Geoffrey Fisher, at Namirembe Cathedral, in Kampala, Uganda, on 15 March 1955. He was in charge of all western Kenya. In December 1960, he was nominated Bishop of the Diocese of Maseno, covering Nyanza and Western provinces, being installed in 1961 by Archbishop of East Africa, Leonard Beecher, at St. Stephen’s Church, in Kisumu, later his Pro-Cathedral. The growth of his Diocese lead to its division into two, with him in charge of the new Diocese of Maseno North. During his tenure in both dioceses, Olang’ was the chairman of the Luo and the Luhya Bible Translation Committees, helping to translate the Bible, the Prayer Book, and Hymn books into both languages.
He was enthroned as the 1st African Archbishop of the Anglican Church of Kenya, formerly known as the Church of The province of Kenya on the 3rd August 1970, Upon the Division of the Anglican Province of East Africa in two new provinces, Kenya and Tanzania.
He is also remembered for his efforts in strengthening the relationships of members of the Global Anglican Communion. He also organized several conferences for Anglican Clergy at various Levels to with the aim firming the Anglican Communion. He also took part in several Ecumenical Meetings with other faith organizations like the World Council of Churches, The National Council of Churches, and The All Africa Conference of Churches among others.
As Archbishop he oversaw further growth of the Anglican Church around the country. He also further spearheaded the Social development Agenda of the Anglican Church of Kenya through the construction of Educational and Health institutions.
By the end of his tenure, the Anglican Church of Kenya had grown to 7 dioceses, 288 parishes and had 374 ordained clergy. He retired in 1980
He. passed on in 2004 after suffering from a Heart Attack.